As self-professed “recessionistas”, we here at The Vyne are always looking for fun ways to be fabulously frugal. Whether we’re catching a jaw-dropping sale on the latest fashions or taking advantage of our local spa week or restaurant week, we’re all for making our dollar stretch. One of our favorite ways to stretch a buck is to treat ourselves to a “stay-cation”(sort of like a vacation, except you don’t need a plane ticket!). Interested in treating yourself to a “stay-cation”? Here are a few ideas:
1) Pick A Theme – Choosing a theme for your “stay-cation” will help you better target your activities. Consider “Mind, Body, Spirit” or “Health, Happiness and Love” as possible themes. You could also choose a theme around a particular culture. Whatever your theme is, choose activities for your “stay-cation” that represent the different elements in your theme.
2) Plan Your Itinerary – Spend time up front to plan what you will do each day of your “stay-cation”. This way there won’t be any unfortunate surprises (e.g. your fav restaurant closed) to derail you.
3) Let Your Peeps Know – A “stay-cation” is not a “stay-cation” if everyone is ringing your phone off the hook or you’re spending time working. So give your peeps a heads up that you’re going to be out of pocket for a couple of days.
4) Swag Bag – Create your own swag bag of essential items that you’ll need for your “stay-cation”. If you’re going to be outdoors a lot, try packing some healthy snacks, bottled water, a face towel, sunscreen, sunglasses, magazines, etc.
5) Go! – Once you’ve decided what you want to do, go for it! Here are a few quick ideas if you’re stumped for what to do:
- Visit a museum
- Try a new restaurant
- Go for a bike ride
- Take a class you’ve been wanting to take (e.g. pottery, dance, etc.)
- Make your own picnic in the park
- Visit a spa
- Take yourself on a movie date
- Discover a new part of town